Arjuna and Urvashi

(xii) Arjuna and Urvashi

Once upon a time, Urvashi came to meet Arjuna in heaven. Beholding her at night in his mansion, Arjuna with a fear stricken heart, stepped up to recieve her with respect and as soon as he saw her, the son of Kunti, from modesty, closed his eyes. And saluting her he offered the Apsara such a worship, as is offered to a superior. And Arjuna said: "O thou foremost of the Apsara, I rever thee by bending my head down. 0 lady! Let me know thy command. I wait upon thee as thy servant."

Hearing these words of Arjuna, Urvashi became deprived of her senses and she soon represented unto Arjuna all that had passed between her and Gandharva Chitrasen. And she said, "O best of men, on account of thy coming here, 0 Arjuna, Indra had convened a large and charming assembly in which celestial festivities were held. When I was dancing, thou hardest looked on me, only with a steadfast gaze. 0 sinless one, commanded by Chitrasen and thy father (Indra) also, I come to thee in order to wait upon thee. 0 slayer of foes my heart hath been attracted by thy virtues, and am already under the influence of the God of Love (Kamadev). And 0 hero, even this is my wish and I have cherished it for ever."

While in heaven, hearing her speak in this strain, Arjuna was overcome with bashfulness and shutting his ears with his hands he said, "O blessed lady, fie on my sense of hearing, when thou speaks thus to me. For 0 thou of beautiful face, thou art certainly equal in my estimation unto the wife of a superior. Even as Kunti here, even this is my wish and I have cherished it forever. 0 auspicious one, of this there is no doubt! That I had gazed particularly at thee, 0 blessed one, is true. There was a reason for it. In the assembly I gazed at thee with eyes expanded in delight, thinking, "Even this blooming lady is the mother of kaurava race." 0 blessed Apsara, it behoveth thee not to entertain other feelings towards me, for thou art superior to my superiors, being the parent of my race."

Hearing these words of Arjuna, Urvashi answered saying, "O son of the Chief of the celestials, we Apsaras are free and unconfined in our choice. It behoves thee not, therefore, to esteem me as thy superior. The sons and grandsons of Puru's race that have come hither in consequence of ascetic merit do all sport with us, without incurring any sin. Relent, therefore, 0 Arjuna, here it behoveth thee not to send me away. I am burning with desire. I am devoted to thee. Accept me, 0 thou giver of proper respect."

गच्छ मूर्ध्ना प्रपन्नोऽस्मि पादौ ते वरवर्णिनी |

त्वं हि में मातृवत् पूज्या रक्ष्योऽहं पुत्रवत् त्वया ||

(Mahabharat: vanaparvani indralokabhigamana parva: 46.47)

Arjuna replied, "O beautiful lady, listen. I truly tell thee. Let the four directions and the transverse directions, let also the gods listen. 0 sinless one, as Kunti or Madri, or Shachi is unto me so art thou, the parent of my race, and object of reverence to me, Return, I bend my head unto thee, and prostrate myself at thy feet. Thou deservest my worship as my own mother, and it behoveth thee to protect me as a son."

Thus addressed by Arjuna, Urvashi was deprived of her senses by wrath. Trembling with rage and contracting her eyebrows, she cursed Arjuna, saying, "Since thou disregard a woman come to thy mansion at the command of thy father and of her own motion- a woman besides who is pierced by the shaft of Kama. Therefore, 0 Arjuna, thou shalt have to pass thy time among females, unregarded and as a dancer and destitute of manhood and scorned as a eunuch."

Arjuna sought Chitrasen without loss of time. And having found him, he told him all that had passed between him and Urvashi in the night, repeatedly referring to the curse pronounced upon him. And Chitrasen also represented everything unto Indra. And Indra calling his son (Arjuna) unto himself in private, and consoling him in sweet words, smilingly said, " 0 thou best of beings, having obtained thee, 0 child, Kunti hath today become a truly blessed mother. 0 mighty armed one, thou hast now vanquished even Rishis (Sages) by the patience and self-control. But 0 giver of proper respect, the curse that Urvashi hath denounced on thee will be to thy benefit, 0 child, and stand thee in good stead. 0 Sinless one, ye will have on earth to pass the thirteen years (of your exile,) unknown to all. It is then that thou shalt suffer the curse of Urvashi. And having passed one year as a dancer without manhood, thou shalt regain thy power on the expiration of the term."

And it happened so. During his exile, Arjuna worked as a dance teacher in the palace of king Virat, where Virat's princess learnt performing arts of music and dance from Arjuna in the guise of Brhannala.

Author of the great epic, (Mahabharata) says, "The desires of the man that listen to this history of the son of Pandu never run after lustful ends. The foremost of the awfully pure conduct of Arjuna, become void of pride and arrogance and wrath and other faults, and ascending to heaven, sport there in bliss."

This is an unprecedented example of beholding all women (except one's legal wife) as mother. Similar example occurs in the great epic, Ramayana.

Laksmana, the younger brother of Rama, followed Sri Rama for the long period of fourteen years, though he was perfectly aware of the dangers of the forest. He was pure in thought, word and deed. He led the life of an ideal Brahmachari, during the fourteen years of exile. He never looked at the face or body of Sita. His eyes were ever directed towards her lotus-like feet only. When Sugriva brought Slta's cloak and jewels-which, while she was being carried away by Ravana, she had allowed to fall on the earth, seeing the monkeys on the mountain - Rama showed them to Laksmana and asked whether he recognised them. Laksmana said:

"I do not recognise the bracelets or ear-rings; I know only the anklets, for I worshipped her feet alone." It was due to this attitude of beholding woman as the mother that Laksmana could strictly observe celibacy for fourteen years.

Meghanada, the son of Ravana, had conquered even the Indra, the lord of gods. He had a boon of being invincible to all except to one who 'could abstain from all sorts of sensual enjoyments at least for fourteen years. Laksmana destroyed him by the power of his purity, by the power of his Brahmacharya. This illustrates the significance of Brahmacharya.

Indian civilization has given such a high and holy status to the mother that this attitude of beholding mother as goddess can save the mankind from utter ruin. Ramakrishna Paramhamsa and other saints of his level, when tempted to licentious women, saved themselves from lust by beholding the mother in them. This motherly attitude (Matribhava) protects the mind from all passions. Whenever you see a woman and the evil thought arises in your mind, you should become cautious and develop Matribhava to her.

No comments: